XSchema 1.0 Advantages
Peter Murray-Rust wrote the following in private email on 30 May 1998, and graciously said I could post it publicly.
Let's list the advantages of XSchema 1.0 [i.e. direct transliteration from DTD to XSchema and back]:
- can be parsed and used with any XML-aware tool (e.g. SAX can extract elements)
- can be browsed with any XML-aware browser (DTDs cannot)
- can be edited with any XML-aware editor (DTDs cannot)
- can have machine-readable documentation (DTDs can't) [This is the only mandatory extension to the DTD concept].
- can be used to give a list of attributes and their types to support editing
- can be used to give a list of possible children for any element, to support authoring
Return to the XSchema home page.